Thursday, September 23, 2010

St. Malo

I’m almost done my time in St. Malo, my first port. It’s a really beautiful city. There’s a huge wall around the old town which is right next to the port so I spent my first day of shore leave exploring the old town. I did some shopping and walked along the wall. I also ate a ton of crepes! I got an amazing view of the beach here from the top of the wall.
On Tuesday we went on a port program, which is an organised tour that everyone has to go on. First we got on a double decker tour bus which in itself was pretty great. We took the bus to Juno Beach. It was kinda funny that that was the place that they chose to take us seeing that I was there a month earlier but whatever. We also visited the Beny-sur-mer Canadian war cemetery, which I was also at a month earlier. It was still really nice to visit them again so I still enjoyed the port program. We ate lunch in Arromanches and then got on the bus again to drive to Mont Saint Michelle. This was awesome! I was absolutely amazed by it when we were driving up. It’s a city and an abbey that’s built on this huge hill. We climbed to the top and it was hard work! It didn’t help that it was, for once, really hot out. But it was well worth it. We got some breathtaking views from up top and we got a tour of the abbey. Part of it looked like it was taken straight out of a Harry Potter scene! It was so cool. Inside the abbey there’s a wall that all the pilgrims went to. It was supposed to be good luck. So we all got to touch the good luck wall that people were touching a thousand years ago.
It turns out that we have to stay in St. Malo an extra day because there’s a national strike. So the dock workers aren’t working which kind of sucks because that might cut down our time in Portugal. But that's fine. I leave tomorrow morning at 8. Today we didn't do too much because we were getting ready to leave. I went for a run along the ramparts and walked to the supermarket to stock up on junk. After we had a smorgasbord (I loved that I got to use that word) of all the french junk food that we bought. I was going to post some pics of St. Malo but it took an hour to load the previous 4 pictures because of the bad connection so I will try next port. Bye and see you all in 6 day!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah!

    Wow, sounds like your first port was pretty spectacular. It must have been strange for you to be back at Juno and Beny-sur-Mer though... did you miss the Vimy peeps? :)
    Mont Saint Michelle must have had quite a view; I hope you got lots of pics, and I hope the weather was WAY better than whn we climbed up the slag heaps at Loos. :P
    I'm really happy that you're doing a blog, because when life here is getting tiresome and I am missing this past summer's adventure, all I have to do is check your blog to hear all your stories and see the pictures and it just brightens my day.
    I hope you are doing well and having fun... how are the classes so far?

    Love,
    Arielle <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arielle you're so sweet! I missed you guys a lot when I was back at Juno. It was hard actually. The classes aren't bad but of course it's not the classes that I'm doing this for:) I'm having trouble adjusting to your Nova Scotian curriculum though. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete