Sunday, September 5, 2010

Copenhagen

Copenhagen's a really beautiful city. It's right by the ocean and it feels a lot like Canada. It's really friendly and safe. It's also quite cold! i was wearing a jacket all day yesterday and part of today. Everyone speaks English so that makes it easy. Today was my second day in Copenhagen but I definitely couldn't bring myself to write anything yesterday. I have never been so tired in my life! The flight got into Copenhagen at 7:30 in the morning which is 11:30pm in Saskatoon so that meant that sleep on the plane was impossible. The flight was really good though. Since I was flying with my dad who travels tons I got to go business class which was probably one of the coolest things of my life! For all of you who have traveled overseas, you'll know what I mean when I say that I got a pod! I was probably too excited by the fact that I was business class and in a pod to sleep :) When we got into Copenhagen we took a boat tour of the city that went out into the ocean and through the canals. After that we zombied around for awhile until our room at the hotel was ready for us to crash. Today I slept really late so we didn't get going till around lunch but we managed to fit a lot in. We visited a museum, climbed up the Rundetarn (round tower) to get an amazing view of the city and visited the crown jewels at the Rosenborg Castle. We also did a ton of walking along the ocean and in Kastellet, a fortress that you can walk around. Sadly, I didn't get to see the Little Mermaid. She's in Shanghai right now at the world expo. Too bad.

Kinda weird story. So we saw a lot buskers such as the violinists playing Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On. But by far the weirdest was the trio of guys playing South American pan flute and rain sticks dressed in full North American First Nations' clothes, feather head dresses and all! We saw that confused group again today however one of them had put on Mexican clothes, including a sombrero and another was wearing leather, beaded pants and moccasins with a South American shirt. The last one was still decked out in pow wow gear. I bet they're not even South American or First Nations at all but Asian! Nobody would know the difference! The thing is me and my dad were the only ones that did a double take when we saw them, everyone else was buying it. It was actually pretty funny. Danish possible Asians dressed as North American First Nations/Mexicans playing South American music. If that was only two days of my trip who knows what crazy things I'll see in the next 8 months!
Taken during the boat tour

Nyhavn Canal
Also Nyhavn Canal

Rundetarn
Rosenborg Castle
Kastellet

5 comments:

  1. so jealous that u got a pod. we get the cheapest seat possible :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!
    Wow, it sounds like your trip is going to be amazing. Everyone back in Canada is going to miss you though, for sure. I hope you have loads and loads of fun. :)
    Did you get to see the boat you will be living on yet?

    Lots of Love,
    Arielle (The Nova Scotian Sailor)

    PS: LOVE the blog's name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arielle! No I didn't see the boat yet cause the boat's in Kristiansand, Norway. But I'm in Norway now so I might see it tonight. I get on the boat tomorrow though so I'll see it for sure then. Miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - you are getting really good with that camera - those are awesome pictures. Copenhagen looks really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are quite good aren't they ;) Me and dad had a competition for best picture. I won with the picture I took during the boat tour!

    ReplyDelete