Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The boat!

So guess where I am right now.... no you're wrong I'm not on the boat. But I am sitting in an internet cafe right across from the boat and I can see the Sorlandet right now! it 's a beautiful boat and it looks just like a pirate ship. I already set up all my stuff. I've got a top bunk which I was kinda disappointed with at first until I found out that all our stuff is stored in compartments right underneath the mattress of the bottom bunk. So I'm definitely happy now with my top bunk! We also have a locker to store stuff in. There isn't a lot of space though. There are two sections of bunks, and my section is more squished and not in the main area but that's good. The bunks in the main area also become some of our classrooms so the people there have to fold up all their stuff every morning for our class. I've met a lot of people already and they all seem quite nice. There are quite a few who are returning for a second year and that were on the boat when it sunk! I found out that I'm in watch group 2. I have no idea how watch works but from what I gathered we're in a watch group with the people who sleep around us and we have to get up, sometimes in the middle of the night, for a 2 hour watch. Fun! (and that was meant to be sarcastic in case you didn't figure it out on your own)

The next three days  are going to be really busy. We're doing a TON of icebreaker activities and then we start sail training. We're also doing a lot of safety training in case the boat sinks again. Wednesday-Friday is completely full with such activities but on Saturday we get the whole afternoon/evening off to see family. We have a short reception on Sunday afternoon and set sail that night! I've never been sea sick in the past but on the boat when I was setting up I felt kinda weird so I hope that I don't get too sick. That wouldn't be fun. I'll try and get a few pictures of the boat up soon. I don't have to be back on the boat until 6 tonight so me and my dad are probably just going to wander around Kristiansand for a little bit and then it's onto the boat!

6 comments:

  1. omg u listen good during those safety instructions! i want u to come back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah!
    That sounds sooo cool. And as I believe I have previously stated, top bunks are awesome :)
    I definitely hope the boat does NOT sink again, but I guess it can't have been too too bad the 1st time since people came back...
    I hope you have lots of fun and are safe and happy. I miss you soo much too!
    Best of luck, girl.

    Love, Arielle <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet those tie dyed sheets are looking real good all set up on your bunk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to seeing your pictures of sorlandet and your little cornor that you'll be calling "home" for the next while. It's definitely fall in 'toon town now, with leaves changing colour and some already falling. Frost warnings apparently for tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hei paa deg, Sarah! I loved reading all you've written -- it sounds so exciting! We're putting up the ship's itinerary in the kitchen so we can follow your ports of call. I am looking forward to your updates as you sail along and to seeing the photos. The ones of Copenhagen are beautiful -- too bad about the Little Mermaid :(.

    Klem fra (hug from)Tante Karen and YEA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the good posts--they are making me laugh and also wince (as a parent thinking about her daughter...boats...sinking...etc!). Sunday evening will be pretty exciting! I will live vicariously!

    ReplyDelete