Friday, November 26, 2010

Sail to Senegal

In case you didn’t realize I posted an entry for Morocco as well so look below :)
The sail to Senegal was calm and hot. Very hot. It really felt like I was in Africa. Most of the sail was really calm as well. For the first time there wasn’t a storm. There isn’t much to write about so this entry will be short. There were more whales which were, like always, amazing. I also saw another sunfish! We celebrated Halloween during the sail. It was too rough to dress up on the real Halloween that’s why we did it late. I was a ninja (the costume was quite easy with all the turbans that were bought in Morocco). It was a lot of fun. People had to get really creative with costumes on the boat so some of them were hilarious! We had a fashion show of the costumes and then a scary movie night. We also did some fundraisers on the sail to raise money for our projects in Senegal. One of the fundraisers was an auction. Students would sign up for things, such as a 30 minute massage, or taking someone’s night watch, and then everyone would bid on them. The baking club sold a cake of choice for $120! You can probably guess what food we all miss on the ship! All three cakes that were sold at the auction went for more than a hundred dollars. It was crazy how much people will bid on things. Though I guess I’m not one to talk because I, along with a group of 6 others, bid $130 for a cake that the cook would make during the sail across the Atlantic. We didn’t get it however, someone else wanted to pay more. In the environmental club we also worked to reduce water usage on the ship in order to arrive in Senegal with a full tank of water and were successful! Well that’s it for now. I hope to get up a Senegal blog before I leave but no promises.

1 comment:

  1. WOW...is all I can say, Sarah, after reading about your time in Morocco. I will be very interested to hear about the Senegal stay when you get a chance. But now, you are starting on the part of the trip that made me--at the very least--raise my eyebrows before you left! The trip across the Atlantic! I will hope for no storms and sunny skies...

    ReplyDelete