Monday, November 8, 2010

Italy!

So I don’t think that I’m really going to write all that much about the sail the Cagliari. It was only a four day sail, but it was a bit shorter because we got in early. The only really interesting thing that happened was that we got more rough weather. We had a force 7 one day. Classes were canceled and the no standing policy was implemented. For the first time I wasn’t sick so I got to spend the day avoiding homework and watching Lord of the Rings (probably the best movies to watch when you have a whole day with nothing to do). We weren’t allowed on deck to walk to the heads so we were only allowed to use the one staff toilet that was below. Not much else happened.
Italy, in case you didn’t know, was a parent port so I got to see my mom! We got in a day early (again!) therefore I didn’t think that she was in yet. I had galley so I was in the galley finishing cleaning around 8:30 when she walked in! It was amazing to see her. I gave her a tour of the ship and then I went off the ship with her. Parents are allowed to check us off of the ship for the night so I got to sleep at her B & B. It was a great sleep. The first time in over a month that my bed wasn’t moving and that it was completely quiet. My ears were ringing because of the lack of white noise. The next morning I had classes because we had missed a day of classes during the sail when it was rough so we had to make up. The afternoon though was shore leave so I just spent the day with my mom. That’s mostly what I did during this whole port. It was great for me to finally be able to relax. I missed both port programs and spent all my nights off the boat so I had a lot of time with my mom. I only returned to the boat for cleaning stations and gangway. It was an amazing four days! I felt completely recharged by the time I returned to the ship on Sunday morning. It was amazing to get to see my mom and we had lots of fun. We toured a bit. A highlight I think was a Roman Amphitheatre. We went there and bought tickets. The lady asked us if we wanted a tour so we agreed. She then proceeded to lock the gate so that no one else could enter. We had the whole place to ourselves! So my mom and I got a private tour of the amphitheatre which was cool. The food in Italy, as you all probably guessed, was incredible. I ate so much I thought that my mom would have to roll me back to the ship! Pizza, pasta, cappuccinos, tiramisu and gelato. The gelato was probably the best thing that I’ve ever eaten. I had Nutella gelato which blew my mind. It’s also interesting to see how fashionable everyone is in Italy. It’s impossible not to dress well because there aren’t any unfashionable stores. I think that both my mom and I felt underdressed everywhere. I don’t think that there’s much else for me to write about. Like I said I didn’t do too much touring, it was more of a rest port for me which was so nice. See you in Africa! Actually, by the time I get this posted I’ll probably be in Africa :)
fruit market
view from the top of a tower

me and mom
Sorlandet getting ready to leave port

Leaving port at Cagliari, Sardinia

No comments:

Post a Comment